BY SAMANTHA BRAZEAU-WILSON
Monthly DIYs, home hacks, and organizing tips.
Make Your BBQ Sparkle
Use this easy cleaning hack to make your BBQ look and feel brand new. Simply spray white vinegar onto the grill, ensuring the heat is off and the grill is cool. Let the vinegar sit for a few minutes allowing it to cut through grease and cooked on food. Using crumpled up aluminum foil, scrub the cooking surface and watch the grime go away! Wipe clean with paper town.
DIY Natural Bug Repellent
In a 4 oz spray bottle, add 2 oz of Witch Hazel, 2 oz of distilled water, 10 drops of geranium essential oil, 15 drops of lavender essential oil, 5 drops of patchouli essential oil, 10 drops of lemongrass essential oil, and 10 drops of citronella essential oil. Shake the bottle well before each use and spray away! Safe for kids ages 10 and up.
Easy Summer Sangria Recipe
If you’re hosting a pool party or hosting friends at the cottage, this classic red sangria recipe is the perfect go-to and will quickly become a summer favourite.
What you’ll need:
- A large pitcher
- Wooden spoon
- 1/2 apple, cored, skin on, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 orange, rind on, sliced into small pieces
- 3-4 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup brandy
- 1 750 ml bottle dry Spanish red wine*
- Ice to chill (about 1 cup)
How to make it:
- Add apples, oranges, and sugar to a large pitcher and muddle with a wooden spoon.
- Add orange juice and brandy and combine.
- Add red wine and stir then taste and adjust flavour as needed.
- Add ice and chill.
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours, though best when fresh.